Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bob's of Bacolod Part 1

One of my close friends has been working in the Makati area ever since.
Usually when I want to go out, I do mass texting in impromptu and check if anyone's available. When it's this friend who replies, I usually ignore it or say I can't meet up in his area. Why? Because I work in Ortigas and it's too much of a hassle to go there and go home afterwards.

Anyways, since I now work in almost the same area as he does, I invited him to meet up. Just near our office, there's this fairly new place that's all bright clear. I've been doing some practice shots during my lunch and outside office hours so I've been curious on this place for quite some time. So I suggested to my friend to eat there...

Bob's of Bacolod
Bob's of Bacolod

Location: G/F One Palanca Land Bldg., Dela Rosa St., Makati City
How to get there:
If you're from North, take a bus going to LRT/Ayala then ask the driver to drop you off Insular. From there, take the underpass going to the direction of the VGP center (this is the building across Starbuck's front NOT the one opposite Jollibee). Once on the other side, go to the corner to the left of the exit you came out of then continue down the sidewalk beside the overpass. You can see Bob's nearby and just across the street.

If you're from South, well, get a bus that goes to Ayala, go down at VGP center, go straight to the corner near the underpass' exit and continue on the sidewalk as described above.

Bob's is actually a name of a famous American burger back then. And Bob's from Bacolod actually started as a burger place in it's starting days. The server said the reason they did burgers instead of the expected inasal was because of the same reason: it's just common in Bacolod. After a while, they ventured into expanding their menu and built a branch in Magallanes then eventually at Dela Rosa, near Enterprise, at Makati. Interesting actually :)


The food is actually pricey and just by looking at the place, you'd know this ain't no fastfood...
Daily Specials

Nice lighting :)

 ...but later I'd discover it ain't bad at all and it was worth it in the end.

So I asked the waiter what their specialty was and he said the ones under the grilled section were the ones I'm looking for. So when I checked they had baby back-ribs, sate babe and grilled chicken among others. I then asked what Sate Babe meant and...I honestly forgot what he said hehe. I'll ask again on my next visit. But that was the one I tried.

Name: Sate Babe
Price: 145php

Sate Babe
The sate babe... well, I just looked at the oozing peanut sauce on it and I already knew, it would be a winner. Good thing it was :) First off, the peanut sauce was just so good. Like the peanut sauce I tried in Fu Yoh, this one was authentic. Sweet and salty, just right. Secondly, the peanut sauce was just so good. Wait did I just say that again? Haha. Anways, the serving size is big. Usually BBQ's or satays in other places have either little chunks, more fat or just a couple of pieces. But as you can see, that's four large chunks of all-meat. Tender, juicy and definitely not hotdog :p The meat is very chewy, the fiber isn't tough and it's obvious that the marinate seeped in well inside the meat (I tried eating a part without the sauce and it was very tasty).

It's definitely the peanut sauce

Name: Lechon Macau
Price: 225php

Lechon Macau
So the lechon macau looks like...lechon kawali. It doesn't look like the typical Chinese lechon macau that I know of. So does it taste like lechon kawali? I'd say pretty much yes but better in terms of usual serving size, the meat and the sauce. The meat is crunchy all the way through, meaning not just the fat but also the meat itself. And it's not over-fried as even after a while, it doesn't become tough to eat. And the sauce by the way, isn't generic. It's their own gravy. It's a bit sweet and lil salty then a hint of spicy (all small stuff huh?).

Crispy goodness :)

As I said, the prices of the above meals are pretty high but if you have the budget and are near the area, I'd highly recommend the place. Definitely worth the buck :)

For the next pictures, I just got so tempted to look (and almost eat) the cakes. They all look yummy but I had to settle at just looking :)


 




That's it! Maybe I'll get to try one of these cakes one of these days. :)

Until next time!

~2GBTG


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd appreciate the constructive feedback!