Saturday, March 12, 2011

Red Crab Cafe

And me and my best buddy Joydie go out on another stress-reliever day (as you notice, a lot of my friends like doing stress relievers... and they tag me along for it... hmm)

We went to Gateway for a change (actually more of, we miss it coz we stopped going there after frequenting it a lot a year ago). We also wanted to try something new and guess what? There was only ONE new place there...

RED CRAB CAFE
(it says www.redcrabonline.com but i think the site's down)
Nice, clean and catchy logo :)
Location: Gateway Mall, 1st Floor
How to get there:
Easiest is by LRT2. Just go to Cubao station and you'll be at Gateway. Once in, it's at the opposite end where there's Pizza Hut and it's beside the Oasis garden. Or if MRT3 is more accessible, get down at Cubao and pass through the walkway going to Gateway. Then once by the entrance, you should see it after Pizza Hut. Now if you don't like taking trains, all you gotta do is take a jeep or bus going to Cubao and go to Gateway mall. :)

I've eaten at Red Crab before, the one in Greenbelt 3 (Seafood Club by Red Crab). Oh boy, was that awesome (and expensive) and was kinda, an unforgettable experience as ... well anyways, this is not my diary blog so let's skip that :)

Red Crab is famous for actually and literally, their red crabs. Yes seafood in general but their red crabs are king. And when I say king, that's king-size for you with all the good sauce and whatnot. That's why when they give you the bib, make sure you use it as eating their crabs is most specially done by hands :)

Anyways, Red Crab Cafe is like a smaller version of the Red Crab restaurants in Tomas Morato and the one I ate at in Greenbelt. It's got most of the same stuff but less of the expensive ones. Let's just say they're casual dining.

So we got three dishes...

Name: Crabstick Salad with Tobikko (bowl size)
Price: 99php
Fresh and cool
You know this kinda surprised me. It's just a salad of course. But I didn't expect to like it a lot. They were able to make this salad give out a fresh and tangy experience: fresh and crunchy veggie and kani strips, nori strips, light mayo dressing and of course, the tobikko (flying fish roe). The salad was just simple and perfect. Very refreshing!

Name: Seafood Skillet Paella
Price: 385php
La Paella!
I just love paellas :)
Obviously, we decided to go seafood all the way on this trip. And yes, I insisted on getting a paella because I am a BIG fan of this dish. I just love how this dish contains all the foodstuff I like :)

Anyways, this one had shrimps, squid rings, mussels, and scallops. Then it had of course, rice, lots of tomatoes, bell peppers and caramelized onions. Some bits of green peas and other unrecognizable ingredients haha. The paella has the default soft and sticky property but what I liked is that you can really taste the tomatoes' sourness and the bell peppers'/onions' sweetness. Every time I eat that sticky rice with the seafood and the sweet and sour taste, it's just...amazing.

Name: Seafood Laksa
Price: 295php
More seafood :)
Oh by the way, the service for this place was prompt and friendly. They were able to serve all 3 dishes within 15 minutes (but we ate at off peak so that may have helped).

Going back, the laksa is also one of my fave dishes as it combines both spice and cream in a soup. This had the same seafood as the paella minus the squid. What I liked about this laksa however, is the parsley and ginger. They were a very prominent taste and when you taste the soup, they both heighten the flavor of it. It was spicy and creamy due to the coco milk. Also, I noticed they used long, thin noodles rather than some recipes that use thicker strands.

It was all seafood alright, but we were surely full afterwards with all smiles.

I'd say this has to be one of the nicest places I've gone to along with my other faves like Banapple, Momo!, Ajisen, etc...

You'd wanna try this place out :)

~2GBTG!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd appreciate the constructive feedback!